Monday, September 18, 2006

Purpose and the Unseen

What is our purpose here on earth? In James Hillman's book "The Soul's Code" it is fashioned that each of us has a unique purpose or "acorn" that we are born with. This "acorn" is our soul's purpose, which we choose before coming into the world. We can't remember these choices so are left with amnesia.

We can either learn to listen to or neglect and push aside the reminders of our purpose here. It embodies the seen and unseen worlds where we can trust and believe or live in fear of scarcity that it may not work out for us. We will ultimately be unhappy and restless as we go against our purpose.

Here is an expert from the book:

_________________________________________________________

"We sometimes talk of "fate" or "destiny." In my book I use the word Greek word diamon. Other cultures have many words for those "spirits" that seem to guide us, terms like "the invisibles."

The term diamon comes from the Myth of Er, in the last book of Plato’s Republic. According to the myth he lays out there, the soul of each of us is given a unique daimon before we are born, and it has selected an image or pattern that we live on earth. This soul-companion, the daimon, guides us here. In the process of arrival, however, we forget all that took place and believe that we came empty into the world. The daimon remembers what is in your image and belongs to your pattern, and therefore your diamon is the carrier of your destiny. As Plotinus tells us, we elected the body, the parents, the place, and the circumstances that suited the soul and that, as the myth says, belongs to its necessity. This suggests that the circumstances, including my body and my parents whom I may curse are my soul’s own choice—and I do not understand this because I have forgotten.

So the things that "happen" to us, beyond nature and nurture, beyond our genetics and our social conditioning, may be the "call" of the daimon, the soul-companion, calling us to our own character and our own destiny.
_________________________________________________________
So, the glimpse of our purpose may be self apparent as children (ages 3-8, and adolecense). I beleive it is those things that we were attracted to when we were unhampered by fear of making a living, failure, and circumstances. In other words, if you had a genie what would you want to be and why are you attracted to that vocation. Is it adventure, creativity, helping others, solving a mystery, serving Christ, etc . . . ?

I feel there are no accidents and that we have attracted certain individuals into our lives for a reason. Sometime we see our soul reflected in another. Perhaps these souls are reminding us of who we truly are and ultimately our purpose on this planet. I recently met one such soul that is a muse to my creativity and heart's desire. I am learning to trust in the universe regarding the unfolding of details needed to continue this soul mate relationship. I have to have faith in the unseen knowing that the universe is unfolding in perfect order. I'm sure when I am able to finally able to let go of my will and allow God's to unfold all will be well.

No comments: